Monday, January 17, 2011

Warm up with some Lentil Soup

It's been so cold lately that it makes me want soup. I tried this recipe from about.com a little while ago because I had some dried lentils around the house. I had never made lentil soup and I thought it was pretty good. I also like it because it includes simple ingredients which most people can find in their own cupboards on a regular basis. I am conscious of the high salt/sodium in most soups available today, so when I made it I used fairly dilute chicken stock (I used 1.5 oxo cubes for 4 cups of water). Try it out to get some meat alternatives into your day!

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 carrot sliced
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 cup dry lentils
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 bay leaves
  • dash salt
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

Preparation:

In a large pot, sautee the onions and carrot in the vegetable oil for 3-5 minutes until onions turn clear.
Add the vegetable broth, lentils, pepper, thyme, bay leaves and salt.
Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are soft, about 45 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice before serving. Makes 4 servings of lentil soup.

Steph Wheler