Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Creating Awareness

For me, health is very habitual.  We try to get into the positive cycle (eat well, feel good, have energy to exercise, so keep wanting to eat well, etc.) but it can be hard to stay on track.  Life constantly throws challenges and barriers at us and we come up with excuses or rationalize our unhealthy behaviours.  Whether you call it will power or I call it a habit, change is hard and it takes practice to make the healthy choice the easy choice.

I often hear that clients are "too busy", "lazy", "tired after work", etc.  I know the feeling; I've even recently been trying not to say "I've been busy" when people ask how things are going, because we could all pretty much say that we're busy.  We seem to accept that feeling as normal or as how we're supposed to feel.  Finding time for yoga, running, reading, etc. is what helps to ground me and remind me to live in the present moment.  This all relates back to the idea of eating mindfully and thinking about how your actions affect your health.  As much as I support dreaming about the future and am a true believer in goal setting, I also know that means we need to focus on what we're doing right now. 

Recently I finished The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg which was recommended to me by a few sources (thanks Trent and Jon).  I really enjoyed reading it and will be going back through it to look for a couple of key points that I will share with you in future posts.  It reminded me of all the things we do each day without even thinking (such as remembering how to back the car out of the driveway), and obviously habits play a role in the amount and type of food you choose to eat (and where you eat, why you eat, etc.)

If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen that I love inspiring quotes.  So with habits in mind and quotes to motivate me, I recently took the photos out of three frames in my bathroom and can now use a dry erase marker to post inspirations to keep me focused on building the habit of being in the moment.

I haven't asked a question on here in awhile (although I am asking things on facebook, so make sure you provide your thoughts/comments).  So today I'd like to know:

What habit are you currently working on?

This may mean adding a new habit or removing an old habit.

Cheers to your health,
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com