Tuesday, November 24, 2015

What RDs Do: Joanne Greco, RD, CDE

JOANNE GRECO-FIORE
DIABETES EDUCATOR
for something nutrishus



Today we are featuring Ontario-based Joanne Greco-Fiore. She was excited about the career options available to dietitians and has worked in a variety of settings before arriving at her current role. I could definitely sit down and enjoy a meal and dessert with Joanne!

Why did you become a RD?

I was very interested in nutrition and knew I wanted to help people in some capacity, so it was a great fit for me. I was also fascinated by all the different areas RDs could work in. I knew I would never be bored!

What area of dietetics do you work in?

Diabetes Education

How would you explain what you do?

I help people living with Pre-Diabetes, Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational Diabetes to self-manage.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

I teach 1 Gestational Diabetes class every other week and see several patients a day on an individual basis. I am also a part of my hospital’s Person and Family Centered Care Committee.

What has been your career path?

I have worked in many part-time and contract positions as well a full-time positions in the past.

I initially worked in a hospital in inpatient and outpatient Cardiology, followed by a family health team and then home dialysis in a hospital. I then moved on to a community hospital working in both inpatient complex continuing care and rehab, as well as general outpatient, and the outpatient chronic kidney disease program. I worked in cardiac rehab, hemodialysis and diabetes at the next hospital, followed by a Diabetes Education Program at a community health centre. I had a brief “stint” in the private sector working as a vitamin sales rep before I ended up at my current hospital. I initially worked at my current employer as both an inpatient dietitian in medicine, palliative and stroke, and as an outpatient dietitian in the home dialysis program; then I worked in the Centre for Complex Diabetes Care program and now I work in the Diabetes Education Clinic.

What advanced education or special training do you have?

I am a Certified Diabetes Educator and am working on becoming a Certified (Insulin) Pump Trainer

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

All RD services will be covered by OHIP! (health insurance)

What misinformation about RDs would you like to clear up?

As listed on this site, what is the difference between registered dietitians and nutritionists

What would you like people to know about RDs?

We are not the food police! I am not walking around in my off hours counting your calories while you eat in front of me, and frankly I don’t care what your choices are!

What do people think that you do for a living?

Serve food, or write individual meal plans all day.

What is your favourite meal?

Pasta al forno, followed by tiramisu.

More about Joanne:

Thanks Joanne! Find out more about What RDs Do.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!