Tuesday, July 5, 2016

What RDs Do: Allison Schaaf, MS, RD, Chef

ALLISON SCHAAF
PREP DISH, PERSONAL CHEF
for something nutrishus


I came across Allison in the facebook group Dietitians on the Blog. She has a very unique background filled with culinary school and lots of travel. She's working to help people get healthy meals on their tables with a unique business. As a fellow entrepreneur, I understand the challenge of trying to explain your job to others, but that's also another reason this series exists!

Why did you become a RD?


I had a passion for cooking, and to me, it made sense to have the food I cook also be nutritious and lead to feeling better not worse. I also knew I wanted to combine the culinary arts with nutrition. I felt to really be seen as an expert in nutrition, I needed the RD.

What area of dietetics do you work in?


Entrepreneurship

How would you explain what you do?

I save people time while allowing them to enjoy healthy, tasty meals. I do this by providing weekly meal plans- grocery lists & instructions for how to prepare meals ahead of time.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

This varies! Some common tasks include recipe development, editing meal plans, creating content for my newsletter, working with sponsors/ advertisers, etc.

What has been your career path?


I started out as a personal chef in high school. I then received a degree in culinary nutrition and had experience cooking at world-renowned health spas. I then received a masters degree in nutrition communications & became a RD. I spent some time doing marketing for the Almond Board of California. From there, I moved to Austin, TX and created a personal chef company. I still run that company, but now focus on my meal planning website, PrepDish.com.

What advanced education or special training do you have?

See above.

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

I’m ready for robots to start preparing my meals and recipes! I don’t think this is within the next 5 years, but it’s where I think technology is headed in my lifetime. And I can’t wait!

What misinformation about RDs would you like to clear up?


Not all dietitians work clinically in a hospital!

What would you like people to know about RDs?

The requirements it takes to be an RD, it’s very different than a “nutritionist”.

What do people think that you do for a living?


I think many people are confused by what I do or don’t believe I make money doing so… I’ve given up trying to fully explain it to my grandmother!

What are you passionate about in dietetics?


I believe in family meals, sitting down to enjoy healthy, tasty food. I love providing tools to busy moms to make healthy, family meals a regular, stress-free occurrence.

What is your favourite meal?

Depends on the season!

What tip(s) would you give to our readers?

I feel like there are a lot of opportunities for RDs to be seen as THE nutrition expert in the online world.

More about Allison:


Twitter: @PrepDish
Facebook: Prep Dish
Instagram: @prepdish
Pinterest: Prep Dish
Google+: PrepDish


Thanks Allison! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!