Tuesday, August 15, 2017

What RDs Do: Sulana Perelman RD, MHSc, Certified Master Coach in NLP, TLT, CHt

SULANA PERELMAN
PRIVATE PRACTICE & HOMECARE
for something nutrishus


Sulana is another dietitian with unique credentials, which is how she came to be part of the series (see her advanced education or special training response below). She is an award winning author and aims to help women free themselves from dieting and see themselves positively. I'm sure her unique background leads to interesting coaching sessions as well.

Why did you become a RD? 

Nutrition has always been a topic of interest in my family. I loved science, food and people and felt this profession would be a great fit for me. I also hoped to solve my own issues with yo-yo dieting.

What area of dietetics do you work in? 

Private practice and a part-time job in Homecare dietetics. 

In my private practice I work exclusively with women who have identified as wanting to lose weight, to help them heal their relationship with food. We work together on their unconscious limiting beliefs, patterns, thoughts and strategies to help them get to a place of success.

With Homecare I visit senior clients in their homes who require support in the community. The health issues can include tube feeding management, cancer, diabetes, unintentional weight loss, dysphagia. 

How would you explain what you do?

In a nutshell, I help women get off the dieting rollercoaster and help them add joy and pleasure to their lives.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

Visiting Homecare clients in the home; preparing for and running one-one sessions or group sessions with private practice clients.

What has been your career path?

I’ve worked at a Community Health Centre, Home Care, in Research, and have been in private practice for 3 years. I have written and published a book “It’s Not About The Cheesecake” which came out January 2017.

What advanced education or special training do you have?

That is a loaded question! After my dietetic internship I got my MHSc in Community Nutrition. After a while, I felt that there was something missing, which sent me on a path to becoming a Master Coach in Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), Time Line Therapy (TLT) and a Trainer in Hypnosis (CHt). Recently I have also become a BARE Certified Coach, facilitating a program to help women stop dieting and love their bodies.

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

In an ideal world, Dietitians are the sought after experts in nutrition and extended health benefits include RD services.

What misinformation about RDs would you like to clear up? 

When at a party, I am not looking at what you are eating, and yes, I may eat the cake.

What would you like people to know about RDs? 

We don’t “only” prescribe diets and meal plans and follow the food guide. Dietitians are the best source for scientific-based and current information on nutrition related matters.

What are challenges you encounter as a RD? 

Potential clients wanting that magic bullet (i.e. perfect diet) to help them achieve what is at times an unrealistic weight loss.

What do people think that you do for a living? 

Prescribe diets for weight loss.

What are you passionate about in dietetics? 

Helping my clients suspend negative judgment about themselves and their bodies.

What is your favourite meal?

Any meal that is surrounded by good company. Recently I’ve been loving truffle fries!

More about Sulana:

Website: Sulana Perelman
Instagram: @sulanaperelman



Thanks Sulana! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!