Tuesday, January 9, 2018

What RDs Do: Deanne Segrave-Daly, RD

DEANNA SEGRAVE-DALY
TEASPOON COMMUNICATIONS
for something nutrishus


I've known of Deanna and Serena for years now. They are the type of private practice dietitians that came to mind when I started this series and also served as business inspiration for me. Deanna is very active online and always sharing delicious recipes as well as kitchen hacks for practical healthy cooking at home. Interestingly, we both started communications work with our local dairy groups.

Why did you become a RD?

I became interested in nutrition myself when I gained weight at college and started looking into healthier eating habits. And I’ve always loved cooking and the culture surrounding food.

What area of dietetics do you work in?

Communications/Social Media/Blogging

How would you explain what you do?

For the past 9 years, I’ve co-owned a food-focused communications business called Teaspoon Communications with my business partner, Serena Ball. We work with a variety of food companies, PR agencies and commodity groups doing everything from recipes development, to social media outreach, to TV spots to article writing to creating presentations.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

Daily/weekly tasks include online- promoting healthy recipes, kitchen tips, nutrition finds, etc. on my social media handles as well as keeping our blog, Teaspoon of Spice running smoothly.

On any given week, I could be working on preparing for a Facebook live spot, shooting a Healthy Kitchen Hacks video, hosting a recipe contest through The Recipe ReDux (a blogger community I co-own and manage with Serena and Regan Jones) or planning for Blog Brulee (an annual dietitian blogger workshop that I co-founded with Regan, Robin Plotkin and Gretchen Brown.)

What has been your career path?

From the start I knew I didn’t want to be a clinical dietitian so I started in the community/education sector working for WIC and then being an outpatient dietitian at a prenatal clinic. Then I was hired by my local dairy council to do communications and PR work which I loved. I worked there for 9 years – between that job and being involved in the Food & Culinary Professionals DPG of AND is what gave me the experience and confidence to start my own business with two other colleagues (Serena and Bonnie Johnson) in 2009.

What advanced education or special training do you have?

Along with a BS in Nutrition, I have a BS in Marketing.

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

I wish I had that crystal ball! Communication wise, I know social media outlets will continue to be the main source of news for consumers and I think everything will be in video or live format (vs. photos or simply reading.)

More about Deanna:

Blog: Teaspoon of Spice
Facebook: Teaspoon of Spice
Twitter: tspbasil
Pinterest: tspbasil
Instagram: tsp_basil
LinkedIn: Deanna Segrave-Daly




Thanks Deanna! Find out more about What RDs Do.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!