Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Curried Carrot Soup

With a Fall chill in the air and the motivation to use up random food in the house, I landed on Curried Carrot Soup last night.  I chose a recipe from AllRecipes although there are many recipes available to try.  This one appealed to me because it only has a few ingredients.  It does take awhile to prepare the carrots, and I didn't quite cook them long enough (they need to almost be mushy to blend well).  I'm also not known to season things, so there was a bit of pepper and salt added before eating.

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder (as per comments on the recipe I used 2 Tbsp)
  • 2 pounds carrots, chopped
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (I used low sodium chicken broth because that's what I had)
  • 2 cups water, or as needed

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion until tender and translucent. Stir in the curry powder. Add the chopped carrots, and stir until the carrots are coated. Pour in the vegetable broth, and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 20 minutes.
  2. Transfer the carrots and broth to a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour back into the pot, and thin with water to your preferred consistency.
Let me know what you think, or what your favourite soup recipe is!
Steph Wheler, RD
Something Nutrishus Counselling & Coaching