Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book Review: Nancy Clark's Food Guide for New Runners

Nancy Clark is an internationally renowned sport dietitian. I have had her book Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook for many years now as a great resource. Now that I am getting into running more and doing more presentations for running groups, I thought I would check this book out -Nancy Clark's Food Guide for New Runners. It is a really short read - there are 16 chapters and each one is only about 5-6 pages.

I like that it presents some basic ideas, recipes, food lists, questions that people often ask, answers to the questions, and much more. I am looking forward to trying many of the recipes and I love that they use ingredients commonly found in the home. My nutrition beliefs are in line with Nancy's and I love that it shows people that you can eat real food, you don't need to use supplements. She also acknowledges that people often don't eat perfect and talks about aiming for 90% of your calories to come from quality foods and leaving 10% for sweets and treats if desired.

There are great strategies for healthy eating, fueling to run, recovering from a run, weight loss, and weight management. I think this is a great basic introduction to running and nutrition. I will post some of the recipes with pictures as I try them out. Nancy does a great job presenting nutrition in an easy to follow manner with lots of meal ideas and evidence based knowledge.

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment