Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Am I Covered to See a Dietitian?

You're already spending money on your health, but you're interested in learning to eat healthier to meet your unique goals. Many extended medical insurance plans and health spending accounts cover nutrition counselling by a Registered Dietitian. Check your plan to see what coverage you have. Every insurance company has different policies - check with them regarding dietitian coverage per session and per year, as well as to see if you require a doctor’s referral.

Undergraduate students at the University of Saskatchewan get $20 per visit or $400 per policy year to see a dietitian - they do however require a doctor's referral.

Something Nutrishus does not direct bill to insurance companies but will provide you with a detailed receipt that includes our dietitian practice permit number, description of service, time or number of sessions, and dates of counselling sessions.
If your plan does not cover the services of a Registered Dietitian, save your receipt. In the province of Saskatchewan, Registered Dietitians are classified as an “Authorized Medical Practitioner” as shown here. What this means is that you can save your receipts and supply them to your accountant for a non-refundable tax credit. The more people that ask for it, the more likely insurance plans will change - if your plan does not cover the services of a Registered Dietitian please let your employer or union representative know that you would like to see this changed.
What are you waiting for? Book your appointment with Steph today!

Steph Wheler, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching