Increase the public’s awareness of the values of interscholastic athletic programs. Schools are encouraged to set aside time during the week to acknowledge the Coaches, Officials, Student Athletes and Fans who contribute to the success of High School Sport in their community. An important aspect is to also recognize that High School Sport is an extension of the classroom and provides an opportunity for the education of leadership, teamwork, healthy lifestyles, motor skills, sportsmanship, ethics, and integrity.
National High School Activities Week was initiated in 1980 by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) as a means to promote the value of interscholastic activities. School Sport Canada has encouraged its provincial organizations to make schools across the country aware of the initiative. The NFHS highlights each day of School Sport Week as a means to promote the benefits of high school sport and recognize the many individuals involved in what some have come to call “The Other Half of Education”. The Government of Saskatchewan has proclaimed October 14 – 20 as School Sport Week in Saskatchewan.
- Extra-curricular activities are inherently educational.
- Extra-curricular activities support the academic mission of schools.
- Extra-curricular activities foster success in later life.
- Participation in high school sport is a valuable part of the overall high school experience.
- Participation in high school sport has promoted higher grades and better attendance.
- Participation in extra-curricular programs yields positive results after high school.
- Extra-curricular activities teach lessons that lead to better citizens.
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 17: COACHES and OFFICIALS RECOGNITION DAY
FRIDAY OCTOBER 14: SCHOOL TEAM RECOGNITION DAY
SATURDAY OCTOBER 20: SHSAA REGIONAL SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIPS
Throughout October and November I am traveling around Saskatchewan to provide sport nutrition education to grade 6-12 students and athletes.
Since it's q's day, I want to know:
How has your participation in sports and extra-curricular activities enhanced your life?
Have a great week and get moving!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching