Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Where to Start?

If you're following a dietitian in your life, then I'm sure you know that March is Nutrition Month!  This year, Dietitians of Canada's theme is Best Food Forward: Plan, Shop, Cook, Enjoy!

In the Spring of 2012 Dietitians of Canada conducted an Ipsos Reid poll and more  than 2000 adults across Canada were surveyed online about their grocery shopping habits and they told us that:
  • 63% of Canadians struggle with making healthier food choices in the grocery store at least half the time they shop; more than one third struggle at least 75% of the time.
  • 37% plan meals in advance.
  • 67% of Canadians prepare a grocery list before going shopping for food; that is they always or very often write a list.
  • 52% of Canadians always or very often read the nutrition label on a food before purchasing. Only 11% rarely or never read labels.
  • 58% of Canadians report that they always or very often cook a balanced meal for themselves or their family. 

I work with many clients on the initial steps of planning - the grocery list, choosing recipes, and going grocery shopping.  One thing I find very useful in my own life is picking out recipes ahead of time.  This helps me budget and make sure I have the right ingredients available.  I often plan for leftovers to help get us through a busy week.  A few of my favourite (go-to) cookbooks right now are:


I haven't asked you a question in awhile, so here it is:


What is your favourite cookbook or recipe source?


Happy eating!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com