Thursday, March 10, 2016

Learning More About Being Me

I've been reading Gretchen Rubin's Better Than Before as I try to find time for non-work reading in the evenings. She even talks about 'quitting time' which I am going to try to do, since I work from home and am an 'upholder' I can easily be drawn to my office to do work and accomplish something (because that's what I like to do!).

I often talk about being our best self or the best version of ourselves. It's not about perfection, it's about progress, which the title of the book reminds us - be better!

Gretchen talks about all the unique traits we have and I like to learn as much about myself as I can, so I enjoyed reading that. I also try to be self aware - so I may not always respond or act the way I intended or should have, but on reflection I can easily see what I should have done/said. Maybe it's years as a dietitian and the self reflection we're taught that has stuck with me.

As I learn more about myself, I also continue to learn more. I know I like to cook, but I like to follow recipes, I struggle to just make something from scratch, which many dietitians are great at. I like to follow directions, perhaps with a few alterations, but I like to know where I'm going and what the outcome may be, even though, that does mean that I try all kinds of recipes - some that we'll make again, and others that are soon forgotten.

I also know that I like quotes for inspiration and I like alliteration. As an adult I've recently decided that I am at my best when I remain curious (not judgemental), am content (grateful and not wanting for more or comparing myself to others), and present (or mindful - conscious fits with my 'c' theme, but I don't like it as much). I keep mindfulness, minimalism, and moderation in mind as I strive for health, happiness, and habits.

I've got a lot to continue to work on, but I think I'm better than I was before. I do often have to remind myself of how far I've come and that happiness isn't a destination - ie. it's not, I'll be happy when ________.


This is just my check in, as it was on my mind and I had a few moments to spare to jot it down.
Be well, be you!

Cheers,
Steph Langdon, RD