Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blog Action Day: Climate Change


Today is Blog Action Day and this year's topic is Climate Change. Just like the changes I might suggest for someone's diet, I think the changes you plan to make to reduce your footprint need to be reasonable. They need to be things you know you can do consistently; it does not help if you have big ideas, but never do them.

Related to nutrition and health, a simple step is to use reusable shopping bags when you go to the grocery store. It's such a simple change, but I know I feel better not getting a plastic bag that will just pile up at home or end up in a landfill. I just keep a couple reusable shoppers in my car so that they're easily accessible when I need them.

I know where I live we have snow already, but another healthy option to think about is walking or biking or skateboarding or using any other alternate source of transportation when you can. It will also give you the benefit of being more active. I always try to walk if I'm just making a short trip somewhere; I love the fresh air, but I hope we always have fresh air too.

There is now more evidence showing that eating vegetarian can reduce your environmental footprint. Quite a few websites talk about this in more detail. I liked one I found on the Vegetarian Society website this morning. I don't plan on cutting meat out of my diet completely, but making more of an effort to eat vegetarian options during my week. It helps the environment because of all the potential farming space cows, chickens, pigs, etc take up. Those animals also need to be fed so that we can be fed. If we're eating plant sources of protein it requires a lot less space and gets consumed directly by us. So try adding some meat alternatives like peas, beans, lentils, and nuts to your diet.

Lastly, to reduce transportation carbon I try to support local farmers through farmer's markets. It's not something I do all the time, but it is something I am conscious of.

I like to stress moderation, variety, and balance as part of a healthy diet, but they also apply to making changes for a greener tomorrow. What are you doing?

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com