Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Quinoa Breakfast

I searched old blog posts for this recipe yesterday, but it seems that I haven't shared it with you yet!  I enjoy it every once in a while to mix up my morning routine.  I cook the quinoa according to the directions, but I tend to add whatever fruit and nuts I have around.  This morning I added about 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds and 5 or 6 pecan halves.  Feel free to get creative with it!

 

Cold Quinoa Salad

4 Servings

Ingredients
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup quinoa, (dry measure), well rinsed and drained
1 large   apple, diced
60 ml cranberry, dried, sweetened, optional
4 tbsp chopped walnuts
2 cups yogurt, fruit or vanilla, fat-free or low-fat

Directions
Place water, apple juice, cinnamon and rinsed quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.

Cool, transfer quinoa to a large mixing bowl and refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.

Add apples, dried cranberries and walnuts to quinoa. Mix well. Fold in yogurt. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
Steph Wheler, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com