Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Who, What, Where, When, Weekend?

I am amazed that it's September already!  Where has this year gone?  On Friday I suggested a long weekend with food, fitness, friends, and fun.  Since it's Q's Day, I want to know:

What did you eat Labour Day long weekend?

I was able to enjoy time with many different friends and family members.  We took in the Saskatoon Fireworks Festival from 2 different vantage points (East and West side).  I'm not much of a sparkly/glitzy person, but I do enjoy the simple pleasure of fireworks over the river on a beautiful Autumn evening (it was chilly, so I think it felt more like Fall than Summer).  

We enjoyed some great meals as well.  Lots of fresh fruit with Greek yogurt, brunch at Truffles where I enjoyed the very flavourful feature.  They had a great description, but it was something like - a poached egg with kale, cherried bacon, a garlic and tomato coulis, served on a biscuit.  That's how I like to indulge - with vegetables making an appearance and decadent flavours in a small portion.  There may have been a delicious latte too!

We also enjoyed roasted Parmesan zucchini from a recipe I found on Pinterest.  It is quick, simple, and tasty.  Preheat the oven to 400F, wash and chop your zucchini, place it on a cookie sheet, brush lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.   Cook for 10-15 minutes until cheese starts to brown, but zucchini is still tender.

I enjoyed some great walks - 3 greyhounds for one day made things a little more exciting than just having our Albert.  I did a little shopping with a girlfriend and started making plans for an upcoming vacation.  Being a 'do-er' I also minimized some clutter in the house, organized photos, and caught up on some reading.  Overall a September long weekend success if I say so myself!  Here's to a great September - I'm already looking forward to making warm soups as the temperatures continue to drop.

Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com