Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fresh Tastes



I was inspired this year to try to grow a few fresh herbs.  My husband and I enjoy a variety of flavours, but since this is my experimenting year, I decided to limit myself to four varieties (5 pots, but 2 are basil!).  We live in an apartment, so I don't have a backyard garden to work with, although I hope to enjoy some garden items from the farmer's market and/or family and friend's gardens.  

I often talk with clients about reducing the amount of salt that they use to flavour foods and trying out different herbs and spices.  We can often get great flavour combinations without the extra sodium - it just might take some practice (and perhaps a taste bud adjustment). 

While, I won't be growing them myself, I do enjoy the local flavours of Spring/Summer/Fall - I look forward to little garden potatoes, a variety of hot peppers, colourful carrots, and one of my favourites - corn on the cob.  Buying seasonal can help support local farmer's, reduce your carbon foot print, give some variety to your meal routine, and possibly help you stick to your food budget (depending on where you shop).

I am always looking for new food ideas and recipes.  When I recently picked up a copy of Sobey's Inspired magazine, I found quite a few ideas to try (such as chickpea burgers).  For each season, they provide information on how to select, prepare, and use seasonal produce items.  I know I've been enjoying fresh berries and asparagus lately.  

What Spring or Summer foods are you looking forward to?
 
Feel free to share what you've planted in your garden, recipes or how you enjoy seasonal items, etc.
 
Get inspired!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching