Thursday, January 23, 2014

Go Go Goals...Small Steps Today For A Healthy Tomorrow

For those who frequently follow my musings, likes, and pins you know that I enjoy a good motivational quote, adore my greyhound, and strive to be the best version of myself. As a perfectionist, that will be a lifelong challenge for me and means that I'm always working on personal development.

I haven't been posting as often as I would like, but I've been enjoying sharing recipes here and there. Today I thought I'd steal a moment and put down a few thoughts. Since it's January 23 (already?!) I thought I'd check in and see how you're doing with your goals (or resolutions) because I am a believer in lifelong change and the creation of healthy habits, not jumping on the band wagon and falling off right away! Eating healthy and being active are skills that need to be practiced so that they become second nature.

I often talk with clients about having a 'Stephanie on their shoulder' to remind them to be mindful and make conscious health choices. If they choose to have a piece of chocolate, then I want them to enjoy it, not feel guilty about it, but find a way for that to fit into the big picture that is their wellness journey.  Too often we're too strict and then we go in the opposite direction, for most of us it's about finding a healthy balance.  It's about getting on the health cycle, where you eat well, have increased energy, look forward to being active, and want to keep it up to keep that feeling.

So, I'm asking you to reflect.  Perhaps the gym has quieted down since January 1, or the cupboards are holding chips and candy again.  What is a small step you can take today towards your healthy tomorrow?

Maybe that's:
- parking further away from the mall and walking (even if it's cold out)
- walking a few flights of stairs during commercial breaks
- putting out a fruit bowl so that it's the first thing you see when you're hungry
- taking the laundry off the treadmill and dusting off your running shoes so they're waiting for you
- creating a new tradition with a friend and meeting for an active date/chat
- including vegetables with lunch and supper
- keeping a glass of water on your desk
- eating before you go grocery shopping
- using positive terms when you look at yourself in the mirror
- eating real food (less packaged, convenience items)
- cooking a big batch of soup/chili on the weekend for your lunches
- turning off the television or computer at supper time

These may seem small, but once they become part of your routine you can add new challenges.  The small changes are the ones that stick, because we eventually don't even notice them.

I have lots of little goals that I'm working on right now, what about you?

To your health!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com