Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Weathering the Winter

It's been very cold out there.  I feel bad complaining since I sort of 'escaped' winter for a month, but it's still really cold for a born and raised Saskatchewan girl!  It's always interesting to hear people suffer with seemingly milder temperatures or to chuckle when we're happy that it's only -23C today.  I remember being jealous as a kid when I heard that schools closed in other cities when it snowed, but that's just our reality.  The sun is out, but winter means I want warm dishes and comfort foods.  I love making soups as a great way to include legumes get more vegetables, and stay cozy.


This week I tried a recipe from my Langdon side - a favourite of this couple (thanks for sharing)!  I was very fortunate to receive numerous family and friend recipes at my bridal shower and I love looking through them for inspiration or a new one to try.  I also have a goal to try 10 family recipes on my Day Zero project, so this was an accomplishment in more ways than one :)

Pea Soup with Rosemary and Orange
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

2 medium potatoes, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock
1 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp rosemary
1 cup green split peas, rinsed
1 Tbsp soy sauce
3 bay leaves
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp black pepper
salt, to taste

Directions:
1) Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add onion and garlic; saute 3-4 minutes.
2) Add remaining ingredients.
3) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until peas are cooked (30-40 minutes).

Stay warm and hopeful, the days are getting longer already!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to join our site www.erecipe.com . I really enjoy your blog and recipes and I think the over 8,000 unique daily visitors to eRecipe will too.
    By joining eRecipe, we will provide the Nutrition Facts for every recipe you post in which you could customize and add to your blog. Viewers need and love to know the nutritional facts. Its a free service that we offer to blogs and recipes we really love. It looks professional and your members will love it.
    Simply visit www.erecipe.com or contact me at michelle@erecipe.com. We look forward having you in our network!

    ReplyDelete