Monday, February 3, 2014

Movers and Shakers, Not Couch Po-taters

As usual, I'm going to ask you to reflect for me...did you watch the SuperBowl yesterday? How did you do with your food choices, drink choices, and portions? Sporting events often lead to the gathering of friends over beer, wings, nachos, etc. I can appreciate the excitement and entertainment value, but it always seems a bit strange to me that the average person sits down and eats unhealthy foods while watching others perform physical feats. I've thought this the few times I've watched a weight loss show as well - viewers shouldn't be sitting and watching others workout; get up and do something for your health too!

This might be the rare occasion that you do actually take a break from your active lifestyle, or perhaps you're on a piece of cardio equipment or stretching while the game is on. I bring this up because we're heading into the Olympics this week. I am excited to follow our Canadian athletes, and remember the pride I had when I competed for our country. I know how hard they train, the sacrifices they make, and the goals they have. I will watch their triumphs and personal bests, but I will be motivated to keep up my routine of walking, cycling, running, yoga, and weight lifting. I will prepare healthy snacks and meals to eat if I'm watching an event that coincides with our usual meal time. It may be a small adjustment in your day, but consider your habits around eating, drinking, activity, and television viewing. You may be in a 'bad' habit and not even realize it.

For interest sake, I've posted links to a few articles on my facebook page to see what Olympians eat (yes, it's real food!), what they take with them, their special indulgences, and how they value nutrition's role in their performance. You may not be training like an Olympian, but you can pay closer attention to what you're putting into your body so that you can be the best version of you!

Go Canada Go!
Check out the official Canadian Olympic Team website for more information on the games.

Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com