Thursday, February 13, 2014

Say it With Food


I must admit that I love a good food joke (even the 'corny' or 'cheesy' ones!). So when I see a comic that says: "I love you from my head tomatoes" I smile or even chuckle to myself. I also love to challenge our habits and get us to be mindful, so for me this applies directly to holidays.

As I'm sure you're aware, most of our North American holidays are celebrated with chocolate (or feasts). Yes, chocolate does have some health benefits, but that doesn't mean we need to eat a whole box! Start a new tradition that involves healthy (and fun) choices and perhaps even activities or exercise. If enjoying a special 'treat', do so in moderation and actually take the time to savour it and appreciate the person who provided the gift.

My inspiration for Valentine's Day this year came from Pinterest. I was so happy to see no-food gifts (like rulers, rocks, and pens) with sayings like "you rock", "you rule", "mr. write", etc. And I was inspired to pair real food with similar little sayings such as "you are the apple of my eye", "I go bananas for you", "we make a great pear", "you are berry special", "I'm nuts about you" (you could even cook fish for supper with the tag line "you're a great catch" - I could go on and on!). This way you can express your love (or like, or crush) and provide items that help that person to love themselves by keeping their heart healthy.

Do you have a healthy Valentine's tradition?

Have you started a new habit for holiday gifts?

Let me know how you're celebrating or keeping your heart healthy.  Perhaps you're taking part in an activity on Monday for Family Day; we're having Family In-Motion Day in SK.

Create healthy holidays!

XOXO
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com