Tuesday, May 5, 2015

hiah chat - Michyla Kielo



Bio of Michyla Kielo: I am a Registered Massage Therapist, and teach infant massage classes to new parents.  I am also a farm wife and full time Mom to Alyssa (7), Evan (5) and Riley (5). My husband Brett and I operate a grain and beef farm which is still growing and keeps us very busy! I also run 10K’s and half marathons, ride horses and barrel race.

Twitter: @RunMommyRun3





1. What does healthy mean to you?
To me, healthy means balance. Eating well, being active, and making time to do the things that make you happy are all important to me. I think it’s very easy for moms especially to put themselves last, but we need to have something in our lives for ourselves too. 
2. Do you feel you live a healthy life? How? (Or what would you change?)
I do feel I live a healthy life. We try to eat healthy, though there are days when I admit that doesn’t happen! One of the great things about being on a farm is that our children can play outside and ride their bikes all day, and it makes me happy to see them enjoy being active. 
3. What is a healthy meal you often eat?
I love stir fry. If some vegetables get forgotten in the back of the fridge it’s a great way to use them up. My kids aren’t fans though, so I save them some raw veggies and take their chicken out of the mix before I put the sauce on. We eat a lot of apples and bananas for snacks and have a large garden in the summer which is very helpful when I’m cooking for 9-10 people during harvest time on the farm!
4. How do you stay healthy when life gets hectic?
I pack my kids’ school lunches the night before so I’m not as rushed in the mornings. When we go to the city for errands and groceries I pack snacks and water bottles for everyone, and often pack lunches as well. I’d rather take a half hour break for them to eat a picnic and run around a park than go to a drive thru. When we travel to horse events we always pack our own food as well, so the kids know they can just go get snacks out of the cooler instead of asking for money to buy the unhealthy concession options.
5. What is one of your challenges or struggles when it comes to leading a healthy life?
We live 45 minutes away from the nearest grocery store, so I only go to the city and get groceries once per week. With five people in the house I find it challenging to be able to get enough fresh produce to last a week. This results in me buying larger quantities, but then we struggle to eat it before it goes bad! Either way, it just doesn’t seem to last a week and by days six and seven I’m  struggling to find healthy options for school lunches and snacks.  I’m also bad for not getting enough sleep!
6. Are you currently working towards a goal?
My current goal is to run a personal best time at the Saskatchewan Marathon on May 31 in Saskatoon. My current PB is 1:56:26, set at this race in 2013. I am confident I will be able to take a couple minutes off. 
7. What motivates you to be healthy?
I’ve always been active, but only in the past eight years or so have I worried much about eating healthy. I feel much better now and have more energy than I did in my twenties. Seeing  my kids making healthy food choices is a good motivator too.
8. What is a treat or indulgence that you enjoy?
Cookies.  I love cookies. And wine! 
9. Any inspiring words or comments that you’d like to share with our readers?
I stuck a sign on my treadmill this winter that says “just when you are about to give up is when a breakthrough is about to happen.” This got me through a lot of boring runs this winter when it was too cold or dark to go outside.

Good luck on the 31st Michyla!