Friday, June 24, 2011

Fruity Oatmeal Cookies

I felt like something a little sweet today, so I pulled out that trusty Dietitian's of Canada Simply Great Food cookbook. As per usual for me, I looked for a recipe that would work for what I had available in the house. It just so happens that I had pulled 2 bananas out of the freezer yesterday and that's how I ended up making cookies with mashed bananas!

Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
Lightly grease or line baking sheet with parchment paper.

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips* (I used raisins)
1 c dried fruit (I used dried cranberries)
3/4 c flaxseed
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large bananas, mashed
3/4 c liquid honey
1/2 c margarine

1. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, chocolate, dried fruit, flaxseed, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine bananas, honey, and margarine. Fold in oats mixture.
3. Drop dough by tablespoons, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart, onto prepared baking sheet(s). Flatten with a fork (I didn't do this).
4. Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes, then remove to rack to cool completely.

*Replace semi-sweet chocolate chips with butterscotch or white chocolate chips, leave them out, or use more dried fruit like I did.

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com