Thursday, March 29, 2012

Another Great Cooking Class!












I attended my fourth cooking class in the past 2 years or so this past weekend.  My husband and I really enjoy cooking and the classes help us get new ideas, learn new techniques, and try new foods or familiar foods prepared in new ways.  Our private class was organized by a friend and brought eight of us together with chef Simon for a great and tasty evening.  We attended the class at Simon's Fine Foods here in Saskatoon (where I have taken his Valentine's class as well).
 
It was the first cooking class for most of our group and we heard many comments of how people were excited to try these new ideas at home now.  The menu was kept a secret from me, but I was very pleased with the surprise.  After watching Gordon Ramsay on Hell's Kitchen I was very curious about Beef Wellington and that was our meat for the evening.  I have included many pictures this time so you can try to see how good everything was.

Simon was great with us and made sure to add extra butter, cream, and oil just for me (knowing that I'm a dietitian of course).  Our meal involved sundried tomato basil buns, beef wellington, honey parsnips, cabbage, mashed potatoes, and fondant or lava cakes.  I was pleased with the variety of vegetables and I picked up some new ideas for cabbage (which as you may remember I often get with the Good Food Box), and a nice simple way to roast parsnips.  The wellington was fairly labor intensive, but the other sides were made with ingredients that we have easy access to in Saskatoon and that you might even find in your kitchen already.  I'm excited to get the recipes and play around with these at home.








Thanks to my friends and family that shared this night and thanks to Simon for great food once again!

Steph (Wheler) Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com