I really like the theme that Earth Day Canada is focused on this year because it ties into nutrition and building healthy habits - both of which I focus on in my practice. Their campaign is Take It Up For Earth Day - with the idea of taking up a new habits that's good for you AND the planet.
I would like to share some information from the Earth Day Canada factsheet:
- The UN Food and Agriculture Organization reports that livestock production is responsible for 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions—more than the transport sector.
- 23.1% of adult Canadians are obese and an additional 36.1% are overweight.
- A study by Children’s Hospital Boston found that over a period of fifteen years young people who ate fast food twice a week or more gained 10 extra pounds and become twice as resistant to insulin than those who indulged less than once a week.
- A meat-based diet requires seven times more land than a plant-based diet.
- A study done in the Waterloo region found that food traveled an average of 4497 km to get there, emitting 51,790 tonnes of greenhouse gases in the process! If purchased locally those emissions would be reduced by 95%
Happy Earth Day (Sunday)!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching