21st of the month, so be sure to check back often for ideas on making both healthy and delicious food!
I know that prepping and chopping can also be time consuming, so I tried to keep ingredients straight forward and easy to throw together. If you have the time, feel free to use dried black beans, fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob, homemade salsa, etc.. I enjoy stuffed roasted bell peppers (there are so many different things you can fill them with), but I wanted to make that a quicker meal option.
Quinoa and Bean Stuffed Peppers
2 bell peppers
1/2 can (199ml or 7 fl oz) black beans, rinsed
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 cup canned, no-salt added diced tomatoes, with liquid
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cloves of garlic, minced
dash of salt
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 avocado, sliced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1. Rinse and halve the peppers, remove seeds and white membrane. Place in bottom of slow cooker.
2. Rinse and drain quinoa and black beans
3. In a bowl stir together the quinoa, tomatoes, salsa, salt, cumin, garlic and beans.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into peppers and allow them to overflow.
5. Cover slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or on LOW for about 7-8 hours.
6. Scoop out each pepper and serve topped with grated cheese, and garnished with avocado and red onion.
*This recipe can also be doubled, you can make extra filling for leftovers, you can swap in ground meat or different varieties of beans. I used extra corn, tomatoes, onion, avocado, and tomatoes for a salad the next day, or you can put them in a wrap, etc.
Enjoy the slow,
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
As the first and only recipe challenge founded by registered dietitians, The Recipe ReDux aims to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover. Thank you for visiting. We hope you enjoy!