Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Gratitude Galore

Canadian Thanksgiving is almost here and of course most holidays mean lots of food.  Don't get me wrong, I love turkey and am excited to be making my first ever pie for dessert on Sunday!  But, I also like to turn the focus away from food.  If you follow me on facebook and/or Pinterest you may have recently seen posts about gratitude.  Perhaps you think about what you're thankful for, but it can also be what you're grateful for. 

I have many things to be grateful for.  I know when life gets stressful we may start to see the negatives or forget how far we've come.  So take a moment this weekend and think about it.  I am grateful for the love of my family, the support of my friends, the company of my dog, the roof over my head, the opportunities I get with my job, my health, and much much more.  I am fortunate because I work with a lot of athletes (at all levels) and having been an elite athlete myself, staying healthy is really important to me.  My clients motivate me because they are doing great things and overcoming hurdles everyday.

I recently had the opportunity to travel to Lake Placid, New York with Allinger Consulting International to work with the Russian Freestyle Aerials team.  It was a great experience, a new challenge (working with a translator, etc.), a chance to travel, and a source of inspiration.  I am now doubly excited to watch the Sochi Olympics!

This experience definitely lead to some reflecting on my part.  Travel and getting outside your comfort zone can lead to new perspectives.  In my recent Flaman Fitness Fit Talk post I ask you to do even more thinking and reflecting.  This falls in line with my interest in habits and how we go on auto-pilot all to often.  If health is something that you're grateful for, then you need to take care of it.  Don't wait for a red flag, preserve or improve what you have, because health allows you to spend time with family and friends, allows you to go on that next trip, etc. 

I work with clients with all sorts of goals, we're often working on some sort of change, but change can be hard.  Some people are resistant and others will try anything, either way, I think it's a great idea to remember Albert Einstein's quote: "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".  To create change we must change.  You may have habits that you've had since you can remember, so it will take time to change them.  Or perhaps you're looking to create a new habit all together.  To get started, be thankful, think about what you're grateful for, or what motivates you, and commit to a change.

Happy Wednesday!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com