Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Using Your Garden Goods

I enjoy situations that cause me to be creative and find new ways to use ingredients. This year that inspiration has come from our CSA PayDirt farms. We have received 4 deliveries of locally grown, organic produce so far this year and I have whipped up a variety of new dishes in the kitchen to enjoy the fresh ingredients. We split a share with my brother-in-law and his fiance since we both only have 2 mouths to feed and want to make sure we're able to use everything up. These situations challenge me, because like most people I have my go to items from the grocery store. I do try to combine them in different ways, but this year I've had more chard and mustard greens than I knew what to do with!

As summer sadly comes to an end and gardens are emptied I also like to enjoy the flavours of the changing seasons. Seeing different items at the market or store can also serve as an inspiration; I know I've been enjoying as many peaches and nectarines as I can before they're gone. Earlier this summer that also included cherries and berries, and now corn on the cob is out in abundance.

I also use social settings to test out new recipes and will cook in big batches to get us through a busy work week. Needless to say, there are lots of outside influences when it comes to what is created in my kitchen. We do have our standard favourites, but I like to think that we get a good amount of variety as well.

A few recipes that I've used lately and wanted to share include breaded green beans and a new take on potato salad.

The green beans were adapted from for the love of cooking as they were baked and most recipes involved frying.  I brought them to a potluck and they disappeared; I will definitely make them again. I posted the picture below on my instagram feed and someone asked for the recipe, so here it is...

Baked Breaded Green Beans
Ingredients
1-2 lbs of green beans, washed and ends trimmed
1 egg
2 Tbsp milk
1 cup bread crumbs
spices (I used a smoked paprika, garlic, chili, and chives blend that I had)
2-3 Tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper
4 Tbsp mayo
2 tsp soya sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp sriracha sauce

Directions
1. Combine  2 Tbsp mayo with soya sauce and garlic - set aside. Combine remaining 2 Tbsp mayo with sriracha - set aside.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and brush with 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil. Preheat oven to 425F.
3. In a small bowl make a milk bath with your egg and milk. In a separate bowl combine bread crumbs, spices, and salt and pepper.
4. Dip beans in egg bath and crumb mixture; place in a single layer on baking sheet.
5. Drizzle remaining oil over beans and bake for 13-15 minutes.
6. Serve immediately with dipping sauces.

-----

The Creamy Cucumber and Grilled Potato Salad recipe comes from Food & Wine and was the dish I took to my August foodie group evening. Our theme was grilled food and I picked up my ingredients from our local farmer's market. It was a hit and is also a recipe I will make again.

What have you been inspired to try or create this summer?

Enjoy your garden goods while they last!
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com