Sunday, September 25, 2011

Have You Roasted Red Peppers? I Have!

I was brave the other night and made pasta sauce without a recipe - I love to cook, but I usually search for an interesting recipe first.  I did looked this part up, but otherwise I just made it from my head.  This part was something I have seen on cooking shows and was inspired to do, so I wanted to share with you - How to Roast Red Peppers.

I found this on squidoo and I used the oven method as follows:
  • Place clean whole fresh peppers on a baking dish.
  • Broil under medium heat, turning frequently, as necessary, until the entire pepper skin has turned black and blistery.
  • Remove from oven and place peppers into an airtight container such as a bowl with a lid, or a plastic or paper bag.
  • Let the peppers rest in the container for 10 to 15 minutes to build up steam that is needed to aid in the removal of the pepper skin.
  • Remove from container and peel off the skin.
  • Cut the pepper in half, core and remove seeds.
  • Slice pepper into strips or as called for by your recipe.
The site offers other methods of roasting and what to do with your red peppers once you have them roasted.  I found it was a pretty quick process, but you do have to rotate them often.  While I roasted them I sauteed onions and tomatoes, then added oregano, a bit of salt, pepper, and sugar and after adding the chopped roasted peppers I used a hand blender to get the texture I wanted.  If I say so myself, it was a pretty good sauce.  You can really taste the roasted flavour too.

What will you do with your roasted peppers?

Steph Wheler, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com