Friday, October 16, 2015

Blog Action Day #RaiseYourVoice

Today is Oct. 16, blog action day! I have taken part in the past, and as usual, I like the broad theme that they chose this year: Raise Your Voice.

As an educated Canadian female, I have a lot of things going for me. Considering that we are in election time in Canada, I right away thought of our right to vote as a way to express ourselves. This blog is an outlet and a way for me to communicate (without regulation or censorship). The internet has expanded our online conversations and made the world a smaller place. It has also given people confidence and a voice. While I appreciate that, I also read uninformed or rude (etc.) comments at times and wonder if people would be as expressive in person (I doubt it, for the most part).


We all have a different story and different ways to express ourselves. However, in some parts of the world people are not able to have a voice. I try to use my voice to inspire others to wellness and create positive change; I try to use it for the betterment of mankind. I don't often speak about fringe, sensitive or unpopular topics, but I aim to help people sort through all the (mis)information on health and nutrition that exists online. I may not shout, but that isn't always the best way to spread messages either. With my new interview series, I am striving to promote my profession (Registered Dietitian or RD) and help people see all the diverse things we do and the unique background and skills that we have. 


If we don't say anything, nothing will change. However, as important as it is for us to speak, it's equally important to listen. I am still working on this skill, but we need to let others have a chance to express themselves so that we can learn too. I have heard sayings like "we have 1 mouth and 2 ears, so it is twice as important to listen". Check out the conversation happening today (and hopefully continuing).

I am grateful for: the chance to share my thoughts, knowledge, and experiences with others

Whose voice inspires you?

Speak up!
Steph Langdon, RD