Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Day 27: Move to the Beat

I was in band from grades 6 through 12. I played the oboe, like my best friend. For an athlete, it may have been an 'unusual' skill. I also attempted to play the trombone for jazz band, like my brother; I attempted, but it wasn't for me. I enjoyed my fellow band members, had fun on band trips, and think it was a valuable skill and good for my education.


I haven't been to many concerts, maybe 3 or 4 in my entire life. The most recent one in Oakland, California, almost 2 years ago now, was a great one. We were able to hear a variety of groups/individuals and I still listen to some of them today (Lorde, Bastille, Phoenix, etc.). I'm the type of person that appreciates a mix-tape, because I don't know a lot of artists. When I'm on the road for work, I hope it's the morning or late afternoon and I tune into CBC Radio2 or I put on songza. I rarely remember who sings what, the name of songs, or the lyrics, but I enjoy music in the background.

My brother (and nephew perhaps) is quite musical, playing mostly guitar these days. My brother-in-law knows probably every artist and is a great resource to go to for ideas. Our daughter seems to have a little shoulder shake when music is on. We try to play a variety of types of music for her and introduced music at a young age to get her used to sounds. I now take her to the library for reading and songs/nursery rhymes and we're currently in a local zumbini class which is definitely music and instrument focused. I love being able to expose her to such things, especially when it's something I don't think I really have in me. I'm not one to burst into song and I'm still learning kid songs/rhymes.


Music can make such a big difference. We note the soundtrack in a movie, the mood we're in may help us pick an artist to listen to, or we might leave it to the 'experts' and listen to a playlist they created. It's rainy outside and my daughter is currently sleeping, so the house is quiet. I enjoy the quietness, but I also like to put music on in the background every once in awhile, and I know that today's cloudy/rainy weather will play a role in what I feel like listening to.

I am grateful for: music and musicians (and the ability to hear and enjoy it/them)


I hope you have music and songs in your day.
Don't just stop and smell the roses, stop and listen to the silence or the music!
Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com

No comments:

Post a Comment