Sunday, October 4, 2015

Day 4: Best Version

I aim to inspire others to be the best version of themselves. I work daily to be the best me. I love goal setting. I love personal development. I am still figuring out who I am.

Even as a 30-something, I am still figuring life out. Although, perhaps it isn't meant to be figured out. Sort of like 'life has no meaning' - we as humans add the meaning.

I think part of my 'best version' philosophy comes from a desire to think about me, to not compare, to not try to be like others. I've always tried to be true to myself and be authentic. I wear my emotions on my sleeve, and pretty much 'what you see is what you get'. I actually didn't realize how much of an open book I was until former co-workers would comment on my personality and I would think, 'ya, they really know me'.

Having a daughter now also make me aware of the example I am setting for her. I want to be comfortable in my own skin and to me, that means knowing who I am. To be the best version of myself I 'need' a few things:
  • quiet time/space (mindfulness) 
  • organization (hence minimalism) 
  • a sense of accomplishment 
  • goals 
The people closest to me are likely very familiar with these parts of me. I'm the one that can't relax on the weekend until a few things on my to-do list get crossed off. Of course, motherhood has changed things, as I have less time for myself and rarely finish things.


I am grateful for: Me time

I may not always get it, but I have the privilege of having it. Whether it's time to sit in the tub, go for a walk/run or workout, or curl up with a cup of tea and a book. I know some people either don't have the luxury of this kind of leisure time, or haven't made it a priority, but I need it to be the best me.

I'm still not really sure what the best me means, but I work on it, so it fits the idea of 'progress, not perfection'. I know it means being active, eating well but with balance (moderation), reading, learning, relaxing, de-stressing, helping others, cooking, traveling, and sharing to inspire others (like this). I know I'm not there yet, but that kind of feels like the point?!

Do you have a best version of yourself? What does it mean to you?

Here's to you!
Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com