Thursday, October 8, 2015

Day 8: Get A Move On

We often take things for granted, or fit the lyrics "don't know what you got till it's gone". I find this is so true of our health and well-being. I've always been more passionate about preventative/primary health care, although that's not where the money gets spent. If we feel good, we tend not to think about a future where we may not. We wait until something goes wrong, then we seek solutions. Of course, when it comes to our health, there are some things we can control and others we can't (the risk factors). Since age is one we can't control, I often internally chuckle when I hear something advertised as 'anti-aging' - sorry, but it's going to happen!

I'm fortunate because I've had a relatively healthy life (ankle sprain, pneumonia, colds and flus, broken arm at 6 months old, and occasional aches & pains). I also want to be clear that quality of life and enjoyment are also important. I am in a financial situation where I can choose and afford to do things that are good for my health, and I'm educated to know what to do. However, it is free to go for a walk, climb stairs, etc. (although it is starting to get cold out).

I've been training for a half marathon distance with a close friend. Although I don't love running, I do feel better afterwards, the sense of accomplishment I crave, but also from the physical exertion, break from chores, etc. I know I am lucky that I am physically able to jog and not hurt. I want to keep my body active so that I can keep up with my growing daughter, stay independent as long as I can, and keep doing the things I love to do. Right now, this is in my control.

I am grateful for: the ability to move my body


Being active helps me feel good and makes it easier for me to want to fuel my body well, get adequate rest, and also stress less. I'm keeping this post short, because it's time for me to go for a run/walk!

How will you move today?

Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com